Friday, May 13, 2011

The Chaplain on the Firing Range

Today was our fifth day of NIACT (Navy Individual Augmentee Combat Training) here in sunny Fort Jackson. As a Chaplain, I am not permitted to carry a weapon, so as my company headed to the range to train on the M-4 and M-9 I had to decide wether or not I wanted to go with them. I decided that it would be a good opportunity for ministry and a much better option than the alternative, which would have been to sit by myself in the barracks and watch Netflix.

Before I give off the "Holy'er than thou" vibe, let me tell you that this decision was actually pretty tough. I was told by the training command that Chaplains normally "sit this one out" or take the time to work on personal whatever, so I was definitely tempted to take this opportunity to entertain and ammuse myself all day. I decided that the right thing for me to do was to dawn my 50lbs of combat gear and join the company on the range.

Having been enlisted in the Marine Corps, I know what a day at the range entails. It's hot, it's draining, and there is a lot of the "hurry up and wait" which is so prevalent in the military culture. While each of those expectations were met in full, I was pleasantly surprised and thankful to the Lord for the ministry opportunities which availed themselves throughout the day.

I enjoyed several side-bar conversations with sailors about religion and home-life, I talked with them about their experience in the Navy, where they've been and where they're going, and of course I came equipped with about 80 Jolly Ranchers which I passed out between firing exercises. Never underestimate the power of a piece of candy and an encouraging word, distributed at just the right moment they can do a lot for morale.

I'm thankful for the opportunity I had today to just be a Navy Chaplain.

1 comment:

  1. :) I love the Jolly Ranchers. "People may not remember what you say or do...but they will remember how you made them feel." Keep up the good work babe!

    ReplyDelete