Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ministry Opportunities

As a Chaplain, you are a full-time missionary, in my case a missionary to the US Military. Some missionaries are sent to China, some to the jungles of South America, but wherever a missionary goes he, or she must learn the culture. The military chaplaincy is no different. In this politically correct-any religion goes environment, being an evangelical missionary can certainly have its unique set of challenges.

Can you pray in Jesus' name? Do you have to do Catholic, Muslim, or Wicken services? These are common questions that I get on a near daily basis. My answer is simple, at least on the surface. As a military chaplain, I am expected to facilitate for the free practice of any and every faith, as long as it is within good order and decency. What does that mean? Part of my job is to make sure that each service member has the opportunity to practice constitutional freedom of religion. At the same time, I am not expected, nor am I required to provide religious service which might contradict the dictates of my own faith. If that sounds a little blurry its probably because it really can be (blurry) when it comes to daily ministry practice.

I am ordained as a Southern Baptist, rarely do I meet someone who's doctrinal views line up with mine 100%. Nevertheless, as I encounter Sailors, Soldiers, and Marines from various faith groups I have a unique opportunity to learn about their religion, and even share something of my own. I wanted to create this post to share about two such encounters that I had yesterday, and perhaps ask you to pray with me for these two individuals. The first was an Army Drill Sergeant who is stationed here at this training command in Fort Jackson. He shaired with me that he goes to church and that he is a good person, but that who doesn't consider himself to be "born again." I took the opportunity to share with him, from Scripture, what that term means, and how the Bible teaches that we can be saved. As is the case many times the conversation gets too "deep," he soon changed topics. Nevertheless a good seed was planted in this man's heart.

The second encounter I had was with a young 3rd Class Petty Officer in the Navy who joined my table for evening chow. She had a few surface questions for me about the Chaplain Corps, then began to ask about "questions she had always had." I could tell that she did not have a clear understanding of the Gospel according to Scripture, so I took several minutes to give a concise Gospel presentation. This time, the subject didn't change. In fact, this young sailor asked me for a Bible and said that she wanted to begin reading it. She expressed a desire to explore Christianity more as she is facing a year long deployment.

I share these two encounters with you for the a few simple reasons. I want to make the point that although this is a "PC" environment, Christians and Christian Chaplains have the freedom to openly share the Gospel in Jesus' name and according to Scripture. We need only keep watch for such opportunities and sieze them as they come. Secondly, I want to give glory to God for softening the soil of the heart. We plant the seed and water, but He alone can do the heart-work necessary for genuine spiritual growth. Finally, I share these encounters so that you might join me and thousands of other Christians in lifting up military service members, and their families in prayer, that God would continue to work in their hearts and minds, and that they might come to know Him as their eternal Lord and Savior.

Thanks for listening. I have another 10 days here in Fort Jackson before deploying to Kuwait and Afghanistan. I'll keep you posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment