Sunday, May 8, 2011

Just Getting Started

For those of you who know me, or took the time to read my profile, you know that I am a Marine who also happens to be a Chaplain. What in the world does that mean? Well, from 2000-2004 I was enlisted in the Marine Corps, and everyone that has been through Marine Corps Recruit Training knows about the thorough and effective brainwashing that takes place there. Hence the phrase; "Once a Marine, Always a Marine." This saying holds true in my own life, and while I have been out of the Marine Corps for quite some time now, I am still very much a Jarhead at heart.

During my enlistment in the Marine Corps I made three deployments, with one combat tour in Iraq. I didn't see "major" combat, or get in any huge fire-fights, but I know what it feels like to be shot at, or rocketed, or to raise a loaded weapon at a human target. I never had to shoot anyone, but I know what it feels like to loose a close friend in war.

When I left active duty, I knew that God was leading me towards a life in ministry. I didn't know it at the time, but He would use my experience in the military to shape my call to ministry as a Navy Chaplain. Why the Navy, you ask? It's simple, Marines do not have doctors or chaplains, as a Department of the Navy they aquire those services from the "blue side." To serve the Marines as a Chaplain, I had to join the Navy. For all of you who have worn the Marine Corps dress blue uniform, you understand the deep spiritual turmoil that this decision created. Nevertheless, I swallowed my pride and signed my life away with the Squids.

I've been on Active Duty now since Jan, 2010 and have loved ALMOST every minute of it. My experience began with Officer Development School, which is the basic training for staff officers (docs, lawyers, nurses, and of course chaplains). This was 5 weeks of "death by power point," a method of standardized training that the military has fully embraced. From there, it was 7 weeks at Chaplain School where I learned how to play nice with other chaplains from various faith groups, and how to minister in a politically correct environment. Good times.

I received orders to the Surface Force Ministry Center in Norfolk, Virginia, where I work with about 20 other chaplains to provide ministry support to the surface Navy. One month after checking in I was given the opportunity to deploy for six months as the command chaplain for the mighty frigate, ELROD. What an awesome time of ministry! This was the chaplain experience I hoped for. I had a great CO to work for, a great crew, and a supportive wife back home. I would love to write a separte post just to share some of the experiences from that deployment.

Currently, I am sitting in my rack in an open squad-bay getting some traing for a 10 month deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan. I know, I didn't expect that either, but life moves fast in the military...sometimes.

I wanted to start this blog where I could simply and informally share my experiences as a Navy Chaplain. I don't know who will actually read this, and to be honest, that is not really the point. I need an outlet, a place to vent, and writing has proven to be therapeutic for me. My wife is my inspiration in this endeavor as she has been blogging for a couple years now, and I have seen how sharing your experiences in this way can be uplifting to yourself and others. So, if you are reading this, I hope that some part of it encourages you, if not, well, I'm still having a good time:)

More to follow...

2 comments:

  1. I love you and I'm looking forward to many more stories to come! You're my hero!
    Wife and Tpot xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's nice to see what you are enduring to keep our country safe. I'm proud of the choices you're making and am encouraged by your positive attitude. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete